Jun 23, 2010

The WORD of WISDOM, and RUNNING

A new family moved in at church. They just had a new baby she was a couple weeks old. I met Teri around the 13th of April,  she asked me if I ran? UHHHHH.......I said I used to when my 2 yr old was a baby.....then I couldn't run anymore when I got pregnant with Lily I would get sciatic pain really bad.

Teri was running up until she was 7 mos. pregnant, she's run a marathon, half marathon, and 10k's. She said she likes to do those runs so she can stay in shape by training for them. She said you should run. I was thinking ok. More on that later. 

On April 17th Brandon and I ran about 3 miles. I was so surprised how long I was able to run without stopping! The Wii Active running must've helped. Even though I was just running in place it still helped me to be able to run. That evening some of us in our family went to "Golden Corral", TREAT DAY! (I ran right?) Well that was the last time I purposely ate DAIRY products. (Accidently ate some cheese in a Vita Mix sample of Tortilla soup at COSTCO, silly me!) 

APRIL 19TH  I was down 35 POUNDS and I weighed 150!!! ONLY 5 more pounds and I would reach my goal of losing 40 pounds!

APRIL 20th I had been doing a lot of reading about dairy and if it is good or bad for you. I pretty much new how I felt about dairy. I posted this on FACEBOOK:

 I am on a quest for health and truth about the foods that we eat and that are sold in our grocery stores etc. Wish me luck there is so much contradictory imformation out there. Who's funding the research etc. Is anyone with me on this? You pick up what I'm puttin down? I want to hear from those who are for or against Dairy....and for or against soy???

From this little post I got all kinds of responses. Some I agreed with some I didn't. I had really looked to the Lord for help in making decisions about what food to feed me and my family. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We have a "Health Code" called the Word of Wisdom that pretty much spells out the types of foods that are good for us. What we should put into our bodies and what we shouldn't.  

 The Word of Wisdom is a law of health revealed by the Lord for the physical and spiritual benefit of His children. On February 27, 1833, as recorded in section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord revealed which foods are good for us to eat and which substances are not good for the human body. He also promised health, protection, knowledge, and wisdom to those who obey the Word of Wisdom.


I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for the choice to follow this Word of Wisdom or not, I can learn by these choices what will help me and my family to be healthy.  He has "opened my eyes" a little at a time and has helped me to make these changes. I love this promise that the Lord gives those who follow the Word of Wisdom 

Doctrine and Covenants 89:18-21
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;



  19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

  20 And shall RUN and not be WEARY, and shall walk and not faint.

  21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

 It isn't easy to not eat dairy products because I LOVE cheese, butter, ice cream, however I believe it is worth it! Among other things it is way too fattening for me. I believe cutting this out has helped me to lose a lot of the fat that I was "storing" :) Let me address all of you who are concerned about "calcium" there are plenty of other foods out there that have calcium in them. The Rice Milk and Soy Milk have calcium added to them and the Almond Milk has calcium in it already. Almonds are a great source of Calcium and other nutrients.



Brandon likes the Rice milk in his cereal, I like the (unsweetened) Almond milk in my smoothies. The kids use the soy milk in their cereal. I use it in my smoothies as well.

Here are some other links if you want to know what helped me cut dairy out completely. May be a little bias, I am not saying this is all true....however it gets you thinking!

    








On APRIL 19th (Lily was 6 mos.) I decided to take my friend Teri up on her challenge to run a 10K with her. I have to admit I felt very INADEQUATE next to her. She just had a baby and was almost ready to run again! So I've lost 35 pounds at this point but I didn't think I could run as well as her. We were talking at church and she said so you want to do a  run with me? I said yes.....she said a half marathon? I said are you crazy! Lets start off with a 10K (6.2 miles) which seemed like a HUGE Challenge for me!  A couple weeks went by. 

It is MAY now and I talked with Teri she said she found some runs one of which was on  Saturday MAY 29th in Santa Fe. I was thinking the end of MAY!!!! I said I will "try".  I will see how I was doing with my training before I would register ($25 fee) and commit for sure. 

TRAINING for 10K
I did a lot of training with Faith 2 and Lily 6 1/2 months in a double jogger

Mother's Day 



MAY 3rd I borrowed Teri double jogger and took Faith and Lily to the park we ran/walked  3 miles. WOW it was hard to push them and run in the heat. I had to walk a lot.
MAY 6th   3.75 miles
MAY 8th  4 miles
MAY 10th  4 miles,   Brandon's turned 29,   and I hit my goal of losing 40 pounds!!!!! 
Now I weighed 145 pounds!
MAY 12th   4.9
MAY 14th  4.9 I registered for the 10K run (I'm COMMITTED now)
MAY 17th  I ran by myself for 40 mins STRAIGHT!!!! Either I ran 4.9 miles or 4.15 miles I lost count at one point I can't count in the dark LOL!!
MAY 19th  5.3 miles
MAY 21st 4+ miles with Teri


May 25th

Logan on his 5th Grade Graduation with Ms. Aparici


Ms. Ruth Logan's gifted teacher





5th Grade Dance after Graduation Logan doing the "Worm" Momma Taught him well :)


Brandon Lily and Faith Came to the Graduation,
 Brandon Stayed  so I could  help out at the dance


MAY 27th
Maggie's "Field Trip" at the Park





MAY 27th
Dana's Charlotte's Web Play







MAY 28th
Mrs. Keeling "Field Trip" at the park Water Guns Galore









That was the BUSIEST WEEK ever I was nervous I wouldn't get my running in this week but I did. I had to get up way early or run in the evening.

MAY 24th 4.9 miles by myself before Brandon left for work in the morning.

MAY 26th Although I didn't have it recorded I believe this was the LAST day I ran before the 10k run. I wanted to have 2 days of "rest" before the run.


MAY 29th 

Teri and I before the 10K RUN
I think I had some water before I left the house and I was planning on eating a banana......well I forgot the banana and Brandon had left to go get breakfast with the kids and his mom. I was panicking looking around for Brandon. I thought there is no way I could do this without any food! I didn't know Brandon was taking these pictures of me at the beginning. It looks like I was looking right at him. He must've been zoomed in pretty good!


READY, 
SET.......GO!

AND We're OFF.......
When I was coming around the corner I knew I was almost done I got goosebumps, knowing I was going to FINISH it was an amazing feeling!

ALMOST THERE.....


WHEWWWWW!!!!!!!! I DID IT!
NOT a BAD time for my 1st 10K!



The Kiddos waiting for their Momma ;)


Just to PROVE I was still ALIVE after


about the last 1/2 mile my toe started to hurt and my foot was hurting so bad other than that I was doing well towards the end.

MY SUPPORTIVE FAMILY 
(mother-in-law Bernadette came also, she was taking the picture)

They didn't even RUN and they were tired!

OK let me tell you how the run went and some of my feelings. When we started I took my friend Julie Dahl's advice and started off slow. She said Santa Fe is a bit hilly and the elevation is 1,000 miles higher than Albuquerque. I was a little worried about that. I was hoping since I trained a lot with the kiddos in the jogging stroller that I would be ok.

WOW it was hard it was weird breathing up there. I couldn't believe it when we only got to mile marker 1...I thought to myself there is no way I can do this 6 more times! The first couple miles were the hardest. More than half of the course was up hill. Not the whole time up hill though. When we were going down hill it was so nice. It was very disappointing when we were going down hill and other people were coming up hill towards us. I was confused. The way they had it set up is the people doing the 10K would go to the finish line and turn around and go back. (5K people were finished) We had to go back up that LONG hill that we just came down from and do it all over again.  Teri had Headphone and she was listening to music. She ended up offering them to me for a while it helped me to keep going.  We kept checking with each other to see if either one of us had to walk. I think we had to walk about 4 times. Not too SHABBY considering how hard it was! We did get off course at one point but another runner corrected us and thankfully we didn't go too far before we had to turn around. WE DID IT! I was tired for DAYS ;)









No comments:

Post a Comment